24 Apr 2019
Tour de Yorkshire fan village back in Leeds
Sent on behalf of Welcome to Yorkshire:
The Village will be returning to Millennium Square in Leeds as part of the celebrations around the 2019 Tour de Yorkshire.
The free spectator hub will see dozens of live performances and family friendly activities taking place to celebrate this year’s race.
Activities get going on the evening of Wednesday 1st May with the Tour de Yorkshire Eve of Tour show starting at 6pm. The show will see a host of star riders appearing on stage in front of the fans as they prepare to compete in the fifth edition of this world-class bike race.
There will also be appearances from Tour de France Race Director Christian Prudhomme and former Tour de Yorkshire winner Thomas Voeckler, as well as cycling legends from the past. The entertainment will also feature a performance from the Yorkshire Rock Choir.
On Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd May, The Village will be an atmospheric hub where people can watch the race live on the big screen with street food and drink.
Then, on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th May, the square will transform into a giant cultural hub, combining cycling with performances and interactive family fun. There will be a full line up of entertainment, from arts and craft activities and Segway trials to Bollywood dancing displays and keep-fit classes. Performing on stage will be a whole host of Yorkshire talent from up-and-coming bands, dance troops and local choirs.
The Village will be an exciting place for cycling enthusiasts, food and drink lovers, festival goers, families and friends, with the Tour de Yorkshire being shown, in its entirety, live on the big screen on all four days.
Commercial Director of Welcome to Yorkshire Peter Dodd said: “The Village will be a brilliant place to watch the race on the big screen and soak up that famous Tour de Yorkshire atmosphere. There’ll be loads to do, not just for cycling enthusiasts but for the whole family. There’s a chance to get up close to the big stars of the race at the Eve of Tour celebrations and then dozens of activities and performances over the weekend.”
Full details on the 2019 Tour de Yorkshire and Asda Tour de Yorkshire Women’s Race can be found at http://letouryorkshire.com
Notes to editors:
• The Tour de Yorkshire was launched in 2015 as a legacy of the 2014 Grand Départ. It is organised by Welcome to Yorkshire and the Amaury Sport Organisation.
• The men’s race holds a 2.HC UCI Europe Tour classification.
• The Asda Tour de Yorkshire Women’s Race was awarded 2.1 status in 2016.
• 2.6 million spectators lined the route for the 2018 edition, up from 2.2 million in 2017.
• The 2018 edition was watched by 12.5 million TV viewers in 190 countries.
• The 2018 edition generated £98 million for the Yorkshire economy.
• The race is supported by Yorkshire Bank, Yorkshire Bank Bike Libraries, Asda, LNER, Dimension Data, Le Coq Sportif, Mavic, Tissot, Named Sport, Mug Shot, Soreen, Gateley PLC, Sky Betting & Gaming, Black Sheep, Global, Eisberg and Leeds Bradford Airport
• Help for Heroes are the Official Charity Partner for this year’s race. Find out more at www.helpforheroes.org.uk
More information on Yorkshire Bank Bike Libraries can be found at http://bikelibraries.yorkshire.com
For further information, contact:
Nick Howes, Welcome to Yorkshire
Direct: 0113 322 3505
Mobile: 07590 964828
For media enquiries contact:
Leeds City Council Communications team