19 Jun 2020
Everything you need to know about council parking charges resuming
Charges for Leeds City Council car parks and on street parking will resume from Saturday 4th July 2020, with some important changes in place.
City centre parking
- Payment via the machines will resume at our standard prices.
- Payment via the ParkMobile app will resume at a temporarily discounted rate of £1 per hour or £5 per day. People are encouraged to use this method if possible to avoid touching the machines.
- All charges will be suspended on Sundays and in the evenings.
- Maximum stay times still apply, check the signs when you park.
- Please note: Quarry Hill car park is not owned by the council and is not included in the discount scheme so normal prices apply
Outer areas of the city
- Payment will resume at our standard prices for all methods of payment.
NHS and social care staff
- Parking will remain free for NHS and social care staff who are carrying out front line COVID-19 duties in the city centre, either at hospital, at other medical facilities or in people’s homes.
- A free permit scheme will be in operation to manage this, and those who believe they qualify should apply through their workplace.
More information on council on and off street car parking available can be found at: https://www.leeds.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking
Councillor Judith Blake, leader of Leeds City Council, said:
“We are proud that Leeds was one of the first council’s to introduce free parking in a bid to ease some of the pressure on those still going to work during the pandemic. While suspending charges during the lockdown was the right thing to do, as lockdown restrictions begin to lift and shops and businesses start to reopen, it is time for us to resume parking charges to help manage demand and usage. NHS and social care workers with a valid permit on display will continue to receive free parking and those who pay via Parkmobile will benefit from a discount in the city centre.”
How to pay using Parkmobile
To use Parkmobile you need to register on their system via phone, online, or on the Parkmobile app. This will enable you to pay for parking with a credit or debit card. Once registered you can then call, log in to the Parkmobile app, text or book your parking online.
Each time you contact Parkmobile to pay for parking, they make the information available to the parking attendants who enforce the area in which you have parked. They check their mobile device and match up the vehicle number plate you have paid for with the number plate on the vehicle you have parked.
When payment has been taken from your card, Parkmobile will generate a receipt as proof of purchase, which you can download online.
Register and pay:
- By phone
Call the correct phone number of the city where you want to park to register. The number for Leeds is 020 3003 2523.
- Online – on your computer or mobile internet
Go to Parkmobile.com and click sign up now, it's free!
- iPhone, Android, Windows and Blackberry apps
Download the free ‘Parkmobile’ app.
For media enquiries contact:
Leeds City Council