Unsung heroes wanted for city-wide community awards
Nominations are now open for Leeds City Council’s Compassionate City Awards which are due to take place on 22 November. There is until 28 September to nominate individuals, communities and or organisations who always put others first and deserve to be recognised for their efforts in the local area. Details of the awards, the nomination form and award categories can be found on the council’s website.
The Compassionate City Awards are an opportunity to recognise the positive work that people and organisations do every day to help make Leeds and their local communities a great place to live, work and visit. These can help improve the lives of the people of Leeds and helping to make Leeds the best city in the UK: creating solidarity between communities to tackle poverty and inequality.
Nominations must evidence how over the previous 12 months, an individual, organisation or project has:
- Helped to tackle poverty
- Reduced inequalities and disadvantage
- Improved community involvement or volunteering activities
- Identified new and innovative ways of delivering projects or providing support
- Worked with other people or organisations to deliver a project or improve service delivery
- Created more cohesive and integrated communities and improved resilience
- Worked with communities to improve outcomes or with an exceptional event or emergency
- Demonstrated value for money
- Supported cultural or celebratory events
Councillor Debra Coupar, Leeds City Council’s executive member for communities, said:
“I am delighted that the Compassionate City Awards are being held again this year to recognise the efforts of people working at a grassroots level.
"This is a great chance to highlight the important and positive work that individuals, community groups and organisations do to go above and beyond and to make Leeds a great place to live and work.
"There are plenty of unsung heroes who work endlessly to make Leeds a fantastic city and it is time to give them recognition for their efforts.”
Notes to editors:
For further details of the award categories and nomination process please visit: https://www.leeds.gov.uk/your-council/leeds-compassionate-city-awards-2018.
For media enquiries please contact:
Leeds City Council communications and marketing
Tel: 0113 378 6007