The latest drive to make Leeds homes more energy efficient and cheaper to heat while cutting emissions launches today.
Homeowners and private tenants can now apply for energy saving home improvements with loans and grants from Wrap Up Leeds+.
The scheme is the second phase of the successful Wrap Up Leeds project, which installed over 9,000 free cavity wall and loft insulation measures in homes last year.
Although available to any Leeds homeowner or private tenant, the new scheme is specifically targeting people whose homes are unsuitable for standard energy efficient improvements.
These homes may have solid walls, narrow cavity walls, inefficient heating systems or attic rooms so haven’t been able to benefit from offers up until now.
Testing how the new Green Deal will work, Wrap Up Leeds+ is offering a mixture of loans and grants to cover the costs of wall and roof insulation, double glazing, heating improvements and a host of other measures.
As part of the overall scheme, two Leeds properties are being renovated to become Green Deal show homes.
Canopy and LATCH are bringing the two demonstration properties back into use with the help of volunteers. Once completed, they will benefit from internal wall insulation, room in roof insulation, under floor insulation, new glazing and heating systems – all types of works that can be carried out with Wrap Up Leeds+ loans and grants – and occupied by residents who were previously homeless.
On visiting one of the energy efficient show homes, Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for the environment, said:
“People are feeling the pinch when it comes to rising fuel costs and we’re delighted that we were able to help so many people with the Wrap Up Leeds project. However, there are still many people who find it difficult to cope with energy bills and would struggle to pay for the types of home improvement that will help keep those bills down.
“Wrap Up Leeds+ is the ideal way for us to help these people achieve similar financial and carbon savings. They can now access the funds they need to make these otherwise out-of-reach home improvements that will benefit their bank balance, their health and the environment.
“If your property has previously been rejected for standard home insulation, Wrap Up Leeds+ may just be the solution you’re looking for.”
Wrap Up Leeds+ is being managed by YESprojects on behalf of Leeds City Council. YESprojects is part of the award winning community interest company, Yorkshire Energy Services.
The scheme works on a first come first served basis. Homeowners and those renting privately can register their interest by calling free on 0800 052 0071 (calls from mobiles may be charged so people can call 01484 351 550 instead) or complete a pre-assessment at www.wrapupleeds.co.uk.
Once registered, a survey will be arranged to determine which home improvements are required and the level of funding available. The surveys carried out will be standard Green Deal assessments.
Depending on the individual circumstances of each applicant, works will either be carried out for free or applicants will be asked to take out a loan with Leeds City Credit Union. Loans will follow the Green Deal golden rule – that repayments will be no more than the energy savings made by having improvements done.
Notes to editors
Help, funding, grants and loans available through Wrap Up Leeds+ will come from a range of sources:
- On assessment, vulnerable residents who suffer from a cold related illness could have their boiler repaired or replaced by Care and Repair.
- Groundwork Leeds’ Green Doctor service will offer small scale energy efficiency improvements like secondary glazing, draught proofing or reflective radiator panels alongside energy efficiency advice and other measures.
- YESprojects will manage the no obligation, free, Green Deal assessments and arrange for works to be carried out by approved contractors.
- Grants will fund some or all of the works residents decide to have carried out based on their Green Deal assessment.
- If grants aren’t available, loans will be administered by Leeds City Credit Union. Subject to joining the union and relevant credit checks, interest free loans of up to £5,000 with a 10 year repayment period will be offered. Unlike loans offered through the Green Deal, the loans offered through the credit union will be for the individual and not associated with the property.
meowners and private tenants can apply to Wrap Up Leeds+, however, private tenants will need permission from their landlord before any works can take place.
- Hot water cylinder insulation
- Pipe insulation
- Cylinder thermostat
- Draught proofing
- Loft insulation
- Room in roof insulation
- Cavity wall insulation
- Hard to treat cavity wall insulation (foam and bead)
- Cavity wall insulation
- External wall insulation
- Internal wall insulation
- Underfloor insulation
- Replacement of existing gas boiler
- Installation of new gas boiler
- Installation of new gas boiler and wet heating system
- Flat roof insulation
- Secondary glazing
- Air source heat pumps
- Fan assisted storage heaters
- Oil fired condensing boiler
- Double glazing
- High performance external doors
Amanda Burns, Leeds City Council press office (0113) 395 1577